How I killed job seeker Iniubong Umoren, by suspect


 In a blood chilling narration of the murder of job-seeker Iniubong Umoren, the prime suspect in the killing, Uduak Akpan, yesterday told of how he hit her in the head with a stabilizer after raping her.

And he said he was not afraid to die for his action if that was the only way justice would be served.

Akpan was paraded along with his father, Frank Akpan, in Uyo by the Akwa Ibom Police Commissioner Andrew Amiengheme, following a social media report that the suspect had committed suicide in custody to shield other suspects.

Iniubong, 26, was laid to rest yesterday in her hometown of Nung Ita Ikot Essien, Oruk Anam Local Government Area of the state amid tears as Niger Delta Affairs Minister Godswill Akpabio and independent investigative journalist, David Hundeyin, launched into a war of words over allegations that Akpabio was using a hotel allegedly owned by the minister’s wife for illegal activities.

Hundeyin told Akpabio to stop threatening him with litigation after the minister asked him to withdraw his allegations or face law suit.

Akpan, who wore an orange tee shirt with the inscription ‘The Mudder Squad’ and appeared unperturbed, said it was true he invited Iniubong over for a fake job and then demanded to have sex with her.

His words: “What happened was that she came for the supposed job interview. I decided to use reverse psychology on her.

“I told her whether she can work in a farm where hard drugs are kept as a secretary. She said that she could; that she was ready to work.

“I told her this farm doesn’t exist; that is was just a hoax.

“I told her that before we could even start, I would like to have sex with her, and she agreed. But she gave a condition that I should use a condom, which I agreed.

While I removed the condom, she became furious and picked the nearby stabilizer to hit me on my head. She bit my left ring finger.

“While I was bleeding, in a bid to stop her, I used the stabilizer also and hit her. And when I hit her, she fell down, and she died.”

He then proceeded to hit her in the belly.

He said Iniubong was not the first victim of his ‘reversed psychology’, but she was the only one that died.

“It was not my intention to kill her, but if at the end of everything I am found guilty, I am ready to also die,” he said.

Asked about alleged shallow graves, clothes, books and other belongings of several victims in the compound, Akpan said there were no other victims.

“The NYSC pair of shoes belongs to my mother, and we used it for farm work,” he said.

“The books belong to me and my sister.”

He absolved his father of any form of involvement in the murder, saying he was neither around nor assisted him in any way to kill or bury the remains of the deceased.

Asked about his motive for inviting the lady to the house when there was no job, the suspect said: “I have had very bad experiences with runs girls and prostitutes. I asked whether she can work in a farm where hard drugs are kept and she accepted. She even told me she took marijuana and cocaine.

“I felt that that was the best way to revenge for the runs girls and prostitutes. I used to patronise prostitutes but now I don’t.

“I am not happy about what happened. But the commissioner of police has assured Akwa Ibomites and the entire world that justice will take its course.”

He said if the justice talked about by the police meant his life being taken, he was prepared to die.

His father, Frank Akpan, a retired director in the federal civil service, denied knowledge of the crime until he was invited by the police.

But he admitted that the house in which the murder was committed belongs to him.

He also denied knowledge of his son taking undue advantage of six girls in the compound.

He said: “I’m not aware of that. The reason is that we just relocated from Abuja.

“I have not been around for 30 years. We have been living outside.

“We just relocated because I’m retired. It is not even up to two years since we came back.”

He denied ever being in the business of selling human parts as alleged.

Asked to comment on the kind of justice he expects in the case, Mr Akpan stuttered and said: “I’m not happy about what my child has done. I don’t even believe this can happen to me after I sent them to school, tried to bring them up. Yea, justice can be done if the system so permits.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.